Wildayana, Elisa and Armanto, M Edi and Imanudin, Momon Sodik and Junedi, Heri SIMILARITY_CHARACTERIZING AND ANALYZING SONOR SYSTEM IN PEATLANDS. Journal of Wetlands Environmental Management.

[img] Text
201707-PB Wildayana et al 2017 IJWEM Characterizing and Analyzing Sonor System Checked.pdf

Download (1MB)


The research aimed to describe changing biomass during the burning process, to characterize the nutrient loss due to biomass burning, to analyze the financial loss of nutrient transfer, and to compare income of farmers. This research was conducted in the peatland typologies of B, C and D in Talang Sepucuk, OKI District, South Sumatra. The vegetation and paddy yields was recorded by squares method, i.e. 25 x 25 m at each study site, dried and weighed and analyzed in the laboratory. The nutrient transfer due to biomass burning was in range of US$ 3,844-3,970 ha/year. The income of farmers was very small US$ 829-912 ha/year, it was only about 22 % of the total financial loss of nutrient transfer. The remaining value (78 %) is beyond the capacity of farmers to harvest the peatland resources. This value is classified as one of the biggest negative impact of the sonor system to be paid by the all people. The government has to make the public policy by giving direct subsidy to farmers not to burn biomass with compensation of at least 2 (two) times of farmers income. If farmers continue to apply the sonor system by using fire, then there is very little opportunity for us to manage the nutrients loss due to biomass burning. The preventive and proactive approach is the best way how to manage the peatlands.

Type: Article
Subjects: S Agriculture > S Agriculture (General)
Divisions: Fakultas Pertanian > Agroekoteknologi
Depositing User: Junedi
Date Deposited: 19 Jun 2023 07:39
Last Modified: 19 Jun 2023 07:39

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item